Sunday 10 May 2015

Blog 10 - The Hotel

Today we are setting off for Southampton. We need to get to the hotel that we will be staying at tonight. Tomorrow is Operation Brain Operation . . . err . . . we may need to re-title that one . . . ha  ha ha . . . .
I am finding it hard to believe that someone is going to cut my head open, have a peek inside my head, cut some stuff out, staple it all back together then send me back home . . . The very next day. The very next day – Are they crazy?
I had better not think of that...a brain surgeon operating on my head who is crazy???

So off we set on a lovely Sunday outing – not a care in the world . . . . Me? Worried?

All the way there, we were talking history.
Eleanor of Aquitaine & Henry II. I always seem to forget Eleanor's name. No idea why things I am so interested in, I foget so easily.
Lucie was testing me – well it stopped me thinking about other matters.
The Hundred Year War.
The War of the Roses.
Southampton is quite a way for us to travel but The Hundred Year War & The War or the Roses is a lot of years to get in before we get there.
If this sounds stuffy & boring, you should have heard some of the conversation – Ha ha ha. And of course, some of the things we talked about had us in stitches...oops...ok...we laughed a lot.

Finally, we got to the hotel (quite easily & quickly). Then we had to think of food – we went back out and drove around but all we could find was a MacDonald’s. We took our place in the queue for the drive-through. I decided to have a plain cheese burger (no salad). The person serving said “OK, so that's a cheese burger without cheese is it?” 
No – that would be a burger surely.
“Oh yes . . .”
That person went and explained to the other person who was making up the order (as it was so complex).
We waited . . . . and waited . . . . and then it arrived. Looking good, cheese burger box, note on saying 'plain cheese burger'. I opened the box just to check – ah yes, a burger, a cheese burger without cheese – ha ha ha. We – ok  well Lucie took it back; they just didn't get it at all.

That night we watched a program about a tribe whose whole culture is based around a bartering system with no money exchanging at all. Of course, because of the tourist trade, that is all changing now – so sad.

I am not sure why but I was quite calm and relaxed to say I would be going in to hospital the very next day for a brain operation. We were both feeling quite 'up' and joking around. I just knew everything would go OK . . . . sort of . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I think that having a forward thinking attitude and an overflowing cup of positivity helps enormously when one is faced with such things as an operation. You have an abundance of positive thought and this really helps you my friend, I think also knowing that you have such a wonderful wife at your side gives you even more strength of will, and Lucinda certainly is a lovely lady. I can't understand the ridiculousness of the McDonald's Cheese Burger Saga, but then those Muppets do get around these days, don't you think? :) lol

    Gray Dawster, Andro Vampy and Me

    ReplyDelete