Saturday 9 May 2015

Blog 9 - The Kindness Of Strangers

Saturday and for some peculiar reason, we both seem rather calm. I did think it would be all panic stations. But I have to say that I am glad – we really need a rest. Lucinda is running herself into the ground. 
Anyway, we really have spent all day laughing and joking and feeling quite up . . . Just don't think too much about Monday because laughter really is the best medicine and love is the drug I'm thinking of. . . . Damn you Roxy Music – I thought I'd written a song for a second there!

Last night (Friday), I got a Facebook message from an artist & illustrator whom I have admired for a long time now. A message of support and just at the right time. He told me he had lost the vision in one of his eyes (left one too), in his last year of art school. And let me tell you; that has not stopped him being an incredible artist, illustrator & teacher. The relief from reading those words. OK, I shake quite a lot at the moment but I do think (even if I have to change my style), I will still be drawing and painting. 
The kindness of strangers has been wonderful. 
Earlier on I mentioned the calmness that kind of fell upon us but things were not as relaxing as it all sounds. Messages were pouring in on Facebook. Some of the kindest things I have read on there. People had taken the time to write lovely messages and we were going to answer as many as we could. Of course, after hours of trying to reply to as many lovely people as we could – we found it impossible. Lucinda was replying all day and well into the evening. To anyone who didn't get a reply, we are genuinely sorry.
The kindness of strangers has been wonderful. 

Another artist and massive influence on me is going through terrible times with cancer too. Unfortunately for him, he lives in America where there is no National Health Service. I am lucky, living in this country means I get treatment on the NHS. No such thing in the USA. People need health insurance. But even then, as with this artist, they are wriggling out of paying. When I read this, I was so upset. I just couldn't stop the tears. Money, money that someone had paid into insurance just in case of some dreadful illness came knocking at his door, was more important to that company than a man's life. I know some wonderful artists have been trying to raise funds for the treatment, which is astronomical. At least it shows some people care in this upside down world.
The kindness of strangers.

Lucinda had recorded a Bill Bailey concert on that magic box thing that says Sky. I just couldn't stop laughing. Bill Bailey, a big box of liquorice and my wife by my side . . . . Heaven . . . . ha ha ha . . . . 

Then we went to bed – thinking about the kindness of strangers.

1 comment:

  1. The kindness of strangers really is heart warming, and never worry about replies to FB comments, I am sure that everyone understands the complexities of trying to respond to so many people, and you are right it is impossible. For me personally it matters not that I have a reply, indeed it means more that you are confronting this illness head on and conquering every stage as it unfolds. You really are, the both of you a remarkable couple my friends.

    Gray Dawster, Andro Vampy and Me

    ReplyDelete